Main Muscle Group: Gluteus Maximus, Hamstrings, Quadriceps
Synergist Muscle Group: Erector Spinae, Gluteus Medius, Gluteus Minimus, Soleus, Gastrocnemius
In, Figure 1, it shows a detailed proper squat being performed with a barbell.
- Stand with your feet just past shoulder width apart and your toes pointing slightly outward.
- Begin to slowly lower your hips back, keeping your pelvic bone tilted and bending your knees.
- Make sure that your hamstrings are parallel to the floor and be sure to keep you head up and back straight, NOT FORWARD.
- You should feel it in your Glutes and Erector Spinae as you drop lower.
- Always keep your core tight and tense for proper technique.
- When you start to go back up, push through your heels.
- Don’t lock your knees when you reach your standing position.
Training Tip: It’s recommended that you have a knowledgeable workout buddy or trainer help you make sure your stance and technique are properly executed.