5 REASONS TO STOP EATING CEREAL FOR BREAKFAST: BY MARK WALLACE
- “Fake” processed foods-Theoretically, cereal can be made anywhere. I don’t mean it’s a portable food that can easily be eaten on the go, but what I actually mean is that a cereal maker can be bought by anyone and be put anywhere if someone were to open up their own cereal factory. This makes it easy for companies to make an abundance and put unnatural ingredients like, added dyes and preservatives in their cereals for both taste and profit.
- Carbs- That’s pretty much what cereal is…carbs. And for anyone who has ever tried to lose weight, you should know, carbs are not the way to go. But even for those that are trying to maintain or even gain weight, I’m assuming muscle is what you want to keep, not fat, right? Well cereal, although it does contain carbohydrates, is not the type of carbohydrates your body needs.
- High in sugar- Cereal is somewhat like candy when it’s eaten in the morning. It’s so high in sugar that when it is consumed after a night’s sleep and a 6-8 hour fast (meaning you haven’t eaten for 6-8 hours) your body’s reaction to the sugar is heavier than during the middle of the day. You consume the cereal, which raises your blood sugar, and then causes more fat storage. High sugar foods like cereal are so fast digesting that they just get stored as fat because the body has no beneficial use for it. Believe it or not, even thought to be healthy cereals like raisin brand are too high in processed sugar and should be avoided.
- Whole Grains or no grains- If you eat cereal at least make sure the box says “whole grain.” You’d be surprised at how little the taste difference is and how much healthier that is for you. Whole grains contain many needed nutrients like fiber which contains your cravings and keeps you full longer. Not to mention eating whole grains daily can reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Lack of protein- Whether you’re an athlete, an office worker, or an astronaut, whatever it is you may do for a living does not take away the fact that your body needs protein every single day. In fact, protein is one of the most important sources of nutrients for your body. When cereal is your breakfast of choice, you’re lacking a very important part to your day. When they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it’s because it should be the healthiest to start your day off right. Protein contains numerous amounts of nutrients and should be included in every meal of the day.
Now that you know just a few reasons why cereal is NOT the “Breakfast of Champions” here are a few alternatives that are sure to make your day better, brighter, healthier and happier. (Just please throw out the lucky charms already):
For the younger, more active generations who are not yet grown to their full potential, a good source of protein, fats and carbohydrates are suggested. Things such as: Protein- Eggs (or egg whites), meat, seafood. Fats-nuts, fish oils Carbs (should always be whole grain)- whole grain oats, whole wheat/grain bread, brown rice
For those with high cholesterol and low carb intake needs, protein and fats are a more important breakfast source.
Fruits and berries can also compliment an already healthy breakfast very well as long as not too many are consumed. Fuits are high in sugar but they contain natural sugar that is slower digesting and more nutritious for the body. A great way to add some flavor!